Around our house, we have a saying, "Don't yuck my yum." Given there are 3 children under the age of 9, this is a particularly relevant phrase for the kids, and for us grownups, to use. We want to ensure that we are respectful of other people's preferences and we want to pass that message along to our progeny. We also, since the point the children started eating semi-solid food, have used "yum" to describe some things that were obviously not yummy to at least some of us. We have also used it prolifically to describe things that were, in fact, absolutely yummy. And, oh my gosh, it is so darn cute when a child (the younger, the cuter) uses this word. But... and it's a big but, a "too much booty in the pants" but, grownups have overused this word to the extent that it just grates on my nerves. Don't get me wrong, use of the word still communicates the thought, but it is just hard to stomach from a 40-something... unless they are talking about how scrumptious and yummy a man is... even then, it's a little too "Sex and the City," don't you think? Try saying it in a mirror about your favorite food and I think you'll see what I mean.
Also... while I'm in the throes of this completely psychotic dissociative episode... the pseudo-mathematical "idea-quations" like "toasted artisan bread + Nutella = YUM!" must stop as well... unless you're revenge posting your ex, as in "your brother + the cowboy boots you bought me = great reverse cowgirl!!!"
I took some meds... I'll be OK in a few minutes. Hopefully you'll still be my friend. Yum!


No comments:
Post a Comment